- Race Date: October 13th, 2018
- Distances: 50K (31 miles), 50 mile individual and relay Trail Marathon!
- The majority of the 50k event will be run on the hiking/bridal trails of the Sauratown Trail system with a small section inside Pilot Mountain and the final section running through Hanging Rock State Park. Total course elevation gain is 3400ft.
- The 50 miler will utilize trails within Pilot Mountain State Park, the Sauratown Trail system, and Hanging Rock State Park. The total elevation gain on this course is 5600ft.
- Note: some stream crossings may be necessary on the both distance depending on rain levels in the weeks leading up the event. Most crossings can be done without getting to wet. On race day so far no trail crossings have been over ankle deep.
- Until further notice sections 2 and 3 of the Sauratown Trail System will be closed to the public, therefore the course will have to proceed along a paved road for 2.5 miles before entering Hanging Rock. We will continue to work with the Sauratown Trail Association to open those sections in the future. Our goal as always is to have as much of the course trail as possible. The STA is fully on private land, because of that, some sections may need to be rerouted last minute.
50 Mile Relay Teams
- PM2HR ULTRAS is allowing relays for the 50 Mile race! That’s right, all of you not quite crazy enough to want to run from Pilot Mountain to Hanging Rock can still get in on some of the crazy and all the fun. Join the team for awesome swag, great finishers medals, finish line beer and one of the toughest courses in the Southeast. Relays can be made up of groups of 2, 3 or 4. Make sure you plan ahead as transportation from relay hand off to relay hand off has to be done by your team. We will have awards for the top 2 person, 3 person, and 4 person teams. All participants in the relay will receive a finishers medal and a PM2HR hoodie! We will not have individual timing mats at each timing point. So, if you want to know your individual splits for bragging rights, please wear a watch. We will have live results at the finish line. Please keep in mind that the food at aid station is for all runners. Do not treat this as a long-distance buffet. We have enough food for each runner, but we also do not want to be wasteful and over purchase.
- Early Packet Pickup: 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm, Friday, October 12th Green Heron Ale House: 1110 Flinchum Rd, Danbury, NC 27016
- Race Day Packet Pickup at Respective Start Lines
- 50 Mile Race: 5:00 – 5:45 AM
- 50k Race: 6:15 – 7:30 AM
- Start Time 50 Miler: 6:00 AM
- Start Time 50 K: 7:45 AM
- Time Limit: Both race courses will close at 8:00PM. There will be cut offs along the course where course marshals will pull athletes behind schedule off of the course. See aid station chart below for cut-off points.
Shuttle Bus Schedule
We will have shuttle available to take you from the finish line to the start line before the races start on Saturday (there will be no shuttles returning to the start lines after the race). If you would like to take the shuttle, please add that to your online registration. The shuttles will be available until all seats are sold out.
- 3:40 AM – 3:55 AM: 50 mile bus load up at Finish Line
- 4:00 AM: 50 Mile bus departs
- 5:00 AM – 5:25 AM: 50K Early bus load up at Finish Line
- 5:30 AM: 50K Early bus departs
- 5:45 AM – 6:05 AM: 50K Late bus load up at Finish Line
- 6:10 AM: 50K Late bus departs
- 50K Start – Pilot Mountain State Park (1459 Pinnacle Hotel Rd, Pinnacle, NC) in the horse trailer parking lot on the corner of Culler Rd
- 50 Miler Start – Horse trailer parking lot at the end of the Pilot Mountain Corridor Trail (607 Hauser Rd Pinnacle, NC)
- Both races will make their way along the Pilot Mountain, Sauratown, and Hanging Rock Trail systems finishing at the end of Indian Creek Trail at the Green Heron Club (1110 Flinchum Rd, Danbury, NC) where your car, good food, and cheering fans will be waiting for you.
- Athletes can choose to drive themselves to the start line or they can park at the finish line early in the morning and take one of our hired buses to the start line (this option is only available until the seats are full). Due to the limited options for transportation in the area, the cost of this optional transportation is subject to change from year to year. For 2018 the cost of a ride to the start line will be $10.
We will have a bag check area at the start of both races. A bag to use for bag check will be provided to all athletes at registration. For security reasons, this is the only bag that will be allowed to be left at bag check. These bags will be taken to a midway point on the course (mile marker 27.6 of the 50 Miler and mile marker 14.1 of the 50K) and then to the finish line. You must have your bib number to claim your bag at the finish.
Aid Station Location:
Note: Aid Stations locations may change slightly due to course modifications and availability of safe zones to host stations. Full stations will include water as well as food options. (for a printable pdf, click here)
50 Kilometer Race:
- Through January 31st: $70
- Through June 30th: $80
- Through October 12th (online registration will close at 11:59pm on the 11th, in-person registration will be available at early packet pick-up): $85
- No registration on race day
50 Mile Race:
- Through January 31st: $85
- Through June 30th: $95
- Through October 12th (online registration will close at 11:59pm on the 11th, in-person registration will be available at early packet pick-up): $100
- No registration on race day
50 Mile Relay:
- Through January 31st: $75
- Through June 30th: $85
- Through October 12th (online registration will close at 11:59pm on the 11th, in-person registration will be available at early packet pick-up): $95
- No registration on race day
The Finish and Awards
- Both races will finish at The Green Heron Club at the end of Indian Creek Trail (1110 Flinchum Rd, Danbury, NC)
- Both the 50K and the 50 Miler will be chip timed
- The top 3 men and women overall, along with the top 3 men (under 40 years), top 3 women (under 40 years), top 3 men (40-54 years), top 3 women (40-54 years), top 3 men (55 years or older), and top 3 women (55 years or older) will receive awards in both the 50K and 50 Mile event.
- The top 2 person, 3 person, and 4 person relay teams will receive awards.
- Custom PM2HR Hoodies
- Finishers Bumper Sticker
- Reusable Race Cup
- Finisher Towel
- Finisher Medal
- Post race food and drinks (beer ticket)
Rules / Guidelines
Cancellation Policy: In the event the race should be canceled for reasons beyond the control of the Race Director or Race Committee (inclement weather or unsafe weather conditions; local, state or national emergency), refunds will not be made, but race packets, including race shirts, will be available at a location to be determined. Information will be available on the race website.
Refund Policy: No refunds for any reason will be issued for this event within 30 days of the event start date. Earlier than 30 days before the event, a request may be made for a 50% refund (this will be 50% of entry fee, excluding any processing fees). Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another event or year. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy.
Thank you to our sponsors!